7th November, 2006

Unit Testing PL/SQL

Filed under: General — admin @ 3:54 pm

I’ve been getting rather test infected recently and it feels good. I’ve been using py.test to write unit tests for gerald which had been rather neglected of late. Actually putting the tests together helped me figure out what I need to work on next, more news on that in the near future (I hope).

Emboldened by this spark of activity I am trying to introduce my colleagues to the delights of unit testing. Because they are predominantly PL/SQL developers I need a native unit testing toolkit to get them started. Exhaustive searching brings me to utPLSQL. Which looks good, but for the life of me I can’t get it to install into my 10gR2 database. Has anyone got any pointers to help me out?

1. Andy,

Take a look at Quest Code Tester at http://www.toadworld.com. It’s a new great tool with a graphic UI, created by Steven Feuerstein. utPLSQL is a predecessor of this tool.
    It’s free until the end of February, after that you should pay – pricing not available yet.

HTH
    Roel

Comment by Roel — 07/11/2006 @ 5:48 pm

2. Andy,

HTH
    Roel

Comment by Roel — 07/11/2006 @ 5:48 pm

3. I am using utplslq on 9ir2 without am problems, which probably doesn’t help you. What error messages do you get, if any?

Cheers, APC

Comment by APC — 07/11/2006 @ 11:54 pm

4. I am using utplslq on 9ir2 without am problems, which probably doesn’t help you. What error messages do you get, if any?

Cheers, APC

Comment by APC — 07/11/2006 @ 11:54 pm

5. The interesting update of the day today is that it works fine on Oracle Express Edition under Ubuntu on my laptop. I can only think that my work PC has so much Oracle software on it that nothing will work on it. When I’m feeling brave I might have to clean it out and start again.

Oh, and Roel, I’m not going near Quest Code Tester with a twenty metre barge pole. It may be written by Steven Feuerstein but it’s a GUI test generator (and so I have worries about version control, even of the generated code) and its from Quest. Which means that from the minute I download it I’ll be bombarded with calls from Quest sales people asking how many licenses I would like to buy. One of the attractions of utPLSQL to me is that it is licensed under the GPL.

Comment by Andy Todd — 08/11/2006 @ 9:23 pm

6. The interesting update of the day today is that it works fine on Oracle Express Edition under Ubuntu on my laptop. I can only think that my work PC has so much Oracle software on it that nothing will work on it. When I’m feeling brave I might have to clean it out and start again.

Comment by Andy Todd — 08/11/2006 @ 9:23 pm