20th January, 2007

Locking Your Screen

Filed under: General,ubuntu — admin @ 5:57 pm

I just got my Powerbook back from the repair shop, and after six weeks of Windows and Ubuntu use I noticed one missing feature – quick locking of the screen from a keyboard shortcut.

In Windows XP you can do this with Windows-L (if you have a Windows key on your keyboard – bad luck Thinkpad users), and in KDE you can use Ctrl-Alt-L (sorry, don’t know what the combination is in Gnome, but I’m sure there is one). But back in Mac OSX there isn’t an easy option that I could find.

Luckily, I have Quicksilver. Thanks to some hints in the unofficial users guide I now have a solution.

Oh, you want to know what it is? OK. Essentially we tie the Fast Logout script supplied with Quicksilver to a hot key trigger. Here’s how to do it;

• First, enable the User Accounts Module and Extra Scripts plug-ins. You may also need to activate the HotKey Triggers plug-in, but it looks like its on by default in my version.
  • Then, in QS itself, type the letters FAST LOGOUT until the Fast Logout option appears. The action for this should be ‘Run’. Give it a try and see if it works. If it does you will need to log back in.
  • Bring up the Triggers preference pane in QS and press the plus sign at the bottom (and the HotKey option) to create a new one. If you done nothing with QS since the last item then it should automatically include Fast Logout in the Select an item dialogue box that appears. If it doesn’t select them the way you would normally.
  • Save your trigger and then assign a Trigger key combination to it. I’ve used Ctrl-Apple-L.

Bob will then be your Aunty’s live in lover.

1. I just shoot the mouse against the corner by Apple’s Menu, which activates the password-protected screensaver.

Comment by Luís Bruno — 20/01/2007 @ 9:25 pm

2. I just shoot the mouse against the corner by Apple’s Menu, which activates the password-protected screensaver.

Comment by Luís Bruno — 20/01/2007 @ 9:25 pm

3. I’ve mapped the “Access IBM” button on my ThinkPad to lock screen in Ubuntu. System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Lock screen.

I pity the poor Mac OS X users who have to jump through so many hoops to get this. ;-)

A happy ThinkPad user,

Comment by Marius Gedminas — 21/01/2007 @ 1:08 am

4. I’ve mapped the “Access IBM” button on my ThinkPad to lock screen in Ubuntu. System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Lock screen.

A happy ThinkPad user,

Comment by Marius Gedminas — 21/01/2007 @ 1:08 am

5. In Gnome the default binding is Ctrl-Alt-L just as in KDE

Comment by jens persson — 21/01/2007 @ 7:29 am

6. In Gnome the default binding is Ctrl-Alt-L just as in KDE

Comment by jens persson — 21/01/2007 @ 7:29 am

7. I do the exact same thing in Quicksilver (but with cmd + ctrl + option + L). I pity the poor non OS X user who doesn’t have Quicksilver ;)

I compiled some useful Quicksilver links in a recent blog entry here, http://www.claytron.com/blog/archive/2007/01/20/quicksilver-ate-my-baby

Comment by claytron — 22/01/2007 @ 3:39 am

8. I do the exact same thing in Quicksilver (but with cmd + ctrl + option + L). I pity the poor non OS X user who doesn’t have Quicksilver ;)

Comment by claytron — 22/01/2007 @ 3:39 am

9. I do this by running Keychain Access hidden when I login. It has a preference called ‘Show Status in Menu Bar’. When activated, a lock appears in the menu bar which you can then click and select ‘Lock Screen’.

Comment by Niklas — 26/01/2007 @ 2:09 am

10. I do this by running Keychain Access hidden when I login. It has a preference called ‘Show Status in Menu Bar’. When activated, a lock appears in the menu bar which you can then click and select ‘Lock Screen’.

Comment by Niklas — 26/01/2007 @ 2:09 am