February 20, 2002
Finally, I'll post something postive. I have resolved the problems I talked about in my post on the 9th of January. In essence the solution is quite simple. Isn't it always. Each line in the /etc/apt/sources.list file is comprised of a valid URL and then a list of debian 'modules'. I use the word 'module' because I still don't know the correct name for these things. Anyway, my problem was that the first part of some of the lines in my sources.list file was not a valid URL. All I needed to do was cut and paste the URL into a web browser and see if it resolved to a valid location. If it didn't I back tracked the directory structure until I found the correct location. Hardly easy to do or intuitive, but I got there in the end. I should probably write an article for debianHELP and maybe I will.
In the absence of that article, here is what my (now working) sources.list file looks like (I've removed the comment lines for brevity);
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
Posted by Andy Todd at February 20, 2002 11:34 AM