8th December, 2006

Accessing Relational Databases with Python

Filed under: database,python — admin @ 11:47 am

I gave my talk at OSDC yesterday so here are the fruits of my labours – the paper and slides. Enjoy.

As usual corrections and suggestions are very welcome.

1. I’m interested to know your criteria for selecting the RDBMS and OODB references.

There are a fair number of products.

Here’s my OODB list: http://homepage.mac.com/s_lott/iblog/architecture/C465799452/E20060620063521/index.html

Here’s my ORM list:

Clearly, you did some filtering. What were the criteria? I’d like to borrow that thinking and filter my own lists down to something more manageable.

Comment by Steve Lott — 09/12/2006 @ 12:18 am

2. I’m interested to know your criteria for selecting the RDBMS and OODB references.

There are a fair number of products.

Here’s my ORM list:

Comment by Steve Lott — 09/12/2006 @ 12:18 am

3. Wow! That’s excellent work – congratulations!

I’ve been wondering if I have time to prepare a “Python and Data” talk for a local conference (Dayton-Cincinnati Code Camp) and I think I have a much better chance if I can crib (with attribution) from your stuff. May I?

Comment by Catherine Devlin — 09/12/2006 @ 1:26 am

4. Wow! That’s excellent work – congratulations!

Comment by Catherine Devlin — 09/12/2006 @ 1:26 am

5. Steve, there are a fair number of products.

I picked the ORMs mentioned in my paper mainly because I was familiar with them but also because I knew that they were currently under active use and development, which is not the case with most of the other ones mentioned in the Higher Level Database Programming page. I also didn’t count anything which only works against a single database back end.

Catherine, feel free to use anything and everything from the paper as you see fit. I didn’t put a formal license on the paper – an oversight I will correct.

Comment by Andy Todd — 09/12/2006 @ 12:58 pm

6. Steve, there are a fair number of products.

Comment by Andy Todd — 09/12/2006 @ 12:58 pm