2nd August, 2007

Laws of Software Development

Filed under: python — admin @ 12:14 pm

There have been recent flurries of blog posts talking about various laws of software development (part 1, part 2). I’d like to provide my own addition.

Todd’s adaptation of Greenspun’s Tenth Rule

"Any sufficiently complicated Python application contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of the standard library."

1. Examples?

Comment by Fabian — 02/08/2007 @ 6:15 pm

2. Examples?

Comment by Fabian — 02/08/2007 @ 6:15 pm

3. It’s true. I’ve been working with Python since 2001, and I *still* find little gems in the standard library that I didn’t know existed.

Comment by Jay P. — 02/08/2007 @ 10:38 pm

4. It’s true. I’ve been working with Python since 2001, and I *still* find little gems in the standard library that I didn’t know existed.

Comment by Jay P. — 02/08/2007 @ 10:38 pm

5. Fabian, how long have you got? Look at any large Python project. Although I have to admit that this was prompted by some of my experiences with organisations I have worked with and for over the last few years.

Comment by Andy Todd — 02/08/2007 @ 11:20 pm

6. Fabian, how long have you got? Look at any large Python project. Although I have to admit that this was prompted by some of my experiences with organisations I have worked with and for over the last few years.

Comment by Andy Todd — 02/08/2007 @ 11:20 pm

7. hah! completely agree. I often find little nuggets in the standard library that I have implemented on my own (though usually in a stupid and suboptimal way) in older code. Though I have a feeling that the more informed you get with Python, the ratio approaches zero. for example, I bet Guido can write *very* complicated (complex?) applications without re-implementing any of the standard lib.

Comment by Corey Goldberg — 03/08/2007 @ 6:31 am

8. hah! completely agree. I often find little nuggets in the standard library that I have implemented on my own (though usually in a stupid and suboptimal way) in older code. Though I have a feeling that the more informed you get with Python, the ratio approaches zero. for example, I bet Guido can write *very* complicated (complex?) applications without re-implementing any of the standard lib.

Comment by Corey Goldberg — 03/08/2007 @ 6:31 am