24th November, 2010

Use the right tool for the job

Filed under: General — admin @ 1:28 pm

I was going to write an informed and opinionated piece about the use of proper tools in corporate IT departments. In particular I was going to say that I found it interesting that smaller, more cost conscious teams (in startups or open source projects) use more modern and sophisticated tools for issue management, project planning and code management than the big IT departments that I have the pleasure to work in.

But, well, I’ve got to go and write a status report showing the break down of issues by status, and that is going to take me about three and a half hours. So I don’t have time to faff about on my blog.

Instead, I’ll just paraphrase JWZ (who was apparently in turn paraphrasing an older comment about sed) and say;

Some people, when confronted with a problem think “I know, I’ll use a SharePoint list.” Now they have two problems.

I mean, a SharePoint list for issue management? When we could use Jira or FogBugz? I give up.

1. Oh – you poor poor soul.

We have a ton of sharepoint sites – but we also have JIRA – so thankfully not much issue management happening in Sharepoint.

For your quote – I have heard it used with Excel also :)

Comment by mark — 24/11/2010 @ 6:27 pm

2. Oh – you poor poor soul.

For your quote – I have heard it used with Excel also :)

Comment by mark — 24/11/2010 @ 6:27 pm

3. And what should I see on Reddit this morning but this – http://i.imgur.com/rH6mg.gif

Comment by Andy Todd — 25/11/2010 @ 6:36 am

4. And what should I see on Reddit this morning but this – http://i.imgur.com/rH6mg.gif

Comment by Andy Todd — 25/11/2010 @ 6:36 am

5. Unfortunately, big companies have a process. This costs to create and costs to change. Process is worth a lot (for example, safety and hygiene regulators look at process – what you have written down and how you follow it; some customers will check your process before awarding a contract).

Acquiring process is a cost of growth and keeps you using out-dated stuff.

Comment by Paddy3118 — 28/11/2010 @ 5:06 pm

6. Unfortunately, big companies have a process. This costs to create and costs to change. Process is worth a lot (for example, safety and hygiene regulators look at process – what you have written down and how you follow it; some customers will check your process before awarding a contract).

Acquiring process is a cost of growth and keeps you using out-dated stuff.

Comment by Paddy3118 — 28/11/2010 @ 5:06 pm

7. Just as well you have a strong enough sense of humour to cope with such madness, Andy! Now, I’d better get back to my latest task in Pivotal Tracker ;)

Comment by Keith Pitty — 30/11/2010 @ 9:45 am

8. Just as well you have a strong enough sense of humour to cope with such madness, Andy! Now, I’d better get back to my latest task in Pivotal Tracker ;)

Comment by Keith Pitty — 30/11/2010 @ 9:45 am

9. Is sharepoint good for anything? Isn’t it basically a file share in browser’s clothing?

Oh what am I thinking, what about all those really successful internet sites that are build on sharepoint? So, umm, yeah.

Comment by Alastair — 01/12/2010 @ 8:50 pm

10. Is sharepoint good for anything? Isn’t it basically a file share in browser’s clothing?

Comment by Alastair — 01/12/2010 @ 8:50 pm