20th September, 2006

Python 2.5 and Generic Database Connection Utilities

Filed under: database,python — admin @ 2:36 pm

Python 2.5 has been released today. Yay. I look forward to utilising some of its fine language features in my future code.

But, and you knew there was a gripe coming didn’t you? With the inclusion of the pysqlite module as part of the standard distribution there is a problem. It has been renamed from pysqlite2 to sqlite3. A move I agree with by the way, as it is clear from the name exactly what the module supports.

The problem is I’ve got quite a bit of code that uses the old name. Where my existing scripts say;

>>> from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as sqlite

They now need to say;

>>> try:
...     from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as sqlite
... except ImportError: # for Python 2.5 and above
...     from sqlite3 import dbapi2 as sqlite
>>> myDb = sqlite.connect('sqlitedatabasefile.db')

Or they would, if I hadn’t cunningly stolen an idea from SQLObject, which they borrowed from any number of other places, and written my own little connection function. So my scripts can carry on using;

>>> from utilities.dburi import get_connection
>>> myDb = get_connection('sqlite:/sqlitedatabasefile.db')

Fancy a look at the code? Oh, ok then, it’s called dburi.py and there is a text version of the file called dburi.py.txt. Patches are gratefully accepted.

1. Lightning talk :)

Comment by Richard Jones — 20/09/2006 @ 7:05 pm

2. Lightning talk :)

Comment by Richard Jones — 20/09/2006 @ 7:05 pm

3. I do:

try:
    import sqlite3 # Python 2.5 and up
    except ImportError:
    from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as sqlite3

in similar ‘central’ db access code (I create a connection wrapper that inits the tables if needed, and adds convenience methods and abstractions). See:

Comment by Martijn Pieters — 20/09/2006 @ 10:18 pm

4. I do:

try:
    import sqlite3 # Python 2.5 and up
    except ImportError:
    from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as sqlite3

Comment by Martijn Pieters — 20/09/2006 @ 10:18 pm

5. Standard library! ;-)

(well, something similar should be added to the standard library, at least. where the “schema” part is used to locate the driver, and driver-specific code handles the rest of the “uri”)

Comment by Fredrik — 20/09/2006 @ 11:03 pm

6. Standard library! ;-)

Comment by Fredrik — 20/09/2006 @ 11:03 pm

7. Personally, I’d be quite interested in seeing all the database systems converge on one format and loading mechanism, maybe a common package implementing it. Maybe discuss on DB-SIG?

Comment by Ian Bicking — 21/09/2006 @ 3:55 am

8. Personally, I’d be quite interested in seeing all the database systems converge on one format and loading mechanism, maybe a common package implementing it. Maybe discuss on DB-SIG?

Comment by Ian Bicking — 21/09/2006 @ 3:55 am